AJ’s Kids Crane is back!!
Here is some general info and some Frequently Asked Questions to look over before AJ goes up in the crane.
15th Annual AJ’s Kids Crane at the IKEA parking lot in Mission Valley. Friday, November 11, 2016. AJ goes up in the crane during the AJ Show.
WHEN: AJ goes up Friday, November 11th!
WHERE: IKEA is excited to be hosting the 15th Annual AJ’s Kids Crane again in their parking lot at 2149 Fenton Parkway, San Diego.
Frequently Asked Questions about “AJ’s Kids Crane”
#1- How does AJ eat, shower and/or go to the bathroom while he lives in the crane?
Yes, this is the first question we’ll answer because it’s ALWAYS the first one we’re asked! AJ has a port-o-potty in the crane with him, he “showers” using hospital grade “shower wipes” and his meals are sent up to him in a bucket tied to a rope.
#2- When and how are the toys distributed to the kids at Rady Children’s Hospital?
The toys we collect are distributed to kids for the entire year following the crane event. At the discretion of the Rady’s staff the toys are given to kids as a reward for bravery, a “bribe” to encourage them to take a medicine, an educational tool, a thing to play with with a visiting friend/sibling and much more!
#3- How many toys are you trying to collect this year?
For years we set an annual toy amount and AJ vowed to stay in the crane until that goal was hit. We reached our “maximum” goal several years ago and since that number is no longer changing we’ve decided to shift the focus away from the “goal” and the “guy in the crane” and more on the importance of the toys and the drive itself. So how many toys do we hope to get? As many as San Diegans can bring in a week’s time!
#4 Do you accept used toys?
Because the toys are going to a hospital where many kids have compromised immune systems, the general answer is no. You can see the types of toys that are able to be donated here: http://energy1037.cbslocal.com/2016/10/14/ajs-kids-crane-2016-download-the-poster-and-check-out-the-wish-list/
#5- Do you accept monetary donations?
Absolutely! All monetary donations go into the “AJ’s Kids Fund” and are used to buy toys, equip play rooms and fund several unique programs at the hospital. You can donate online here: http://give.rchsd.org/site/TR?team_id=3633&fr_id=1101&pg=team#.WA0sA6OZPVo
#6- Are there specific toys that you hope to collect?
So many kids of so many different ages, personality types and interests go through Rady in the course of the year that ANY toy donated is sure to be the perfect toy for someone. Having said that, you can view the list of toys below…
- New Release movies (G and PG-13)
- Board/card games (UNO/ Headbanz/Apples to Apples/Jenga/ Don’t Break the Ice)
- Crayola Crayons/ Crayola paints/Crayola art supplies
- $5 and 10 Gift Cards – iTunes, movie theater, Target, Best Buy, Starbucks
- Legos (all ages for boys and girls)
- Cars – Matchbox cars are a favorite
- Play-Doh brand clay
- Barbies and Super Hero Action Figures (no military)
- Musical toys/infant and toddler toys
- Medical Play Kits
Other Rady Wish lists:
NICU Developmental Equipment:
- Crib music and visual stimulation attachments (e.g. crib aquariums)
- Crib mobiles with music
- Crib mirrors
- Books for parents to read to their babies (English and Spanish), such as Good Night Moon, board books, etc.
Downs Syndrome Center:
- Infant toys such as rattles
- Sensory toys that light up (not loud)
- “Little Tykes” walker (they really like this particular walker because the wheels don’t slip and it folds flat and can be used as a toy for toddlers sitting on the floor.
There is also a “Toys R Us Differently-Abled” catalogue:
- Due to infection control we can only accept NEW items
- No stuffed animals
- No guns, religious articles, books, or violent themed games, or comic books
Patient safety is our number one priority at Rady Children’s Hospital
#7- If someone can’t make it out to the crane is there another way to participate?
Yes, monetary donations are being collected at all Pacific Marine Credit Union and IHOP locations or donate online HERE.